Bates Numbering PDFs with Small Margins
Bates stamps are a very useful tool—except when they cover information in your PDFs. Adobe Acrobat Pro offers a “shrink document to avoid overwriting the document’s text and graphics” option that prevents Bates numbers from stamping over information in a PDF. Here’s how to access and use this tool:
- 1. Open the STAMP tool in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.
- 2. In the tool ribbon at the top, click on the down arrow to the right of BATES NUMBERING to select ADD. The Bates Numbering dialogue box displays.
- 3. Click on the ADD FILES button in upper-left corner to ADD FILES. Browse and select files from your device. Ensure all the files to be Bates Stamped are listed in the Bates Numbering dialogue box in the proper order.
- 4. Select the OUTPUT OPTIONS button in the lower left to set where the bates stamped files are to be stored on your device and how they are to be named. Be sure to change the name to avoid saving over the originals.
- 5. Click OK. The Add Header and Footer dialogue box opens. Adjust font style, size and color as needed.
- 6. Click on the blue APPEARANCE OPTIONS… link. The appearance option dialogue box displays.
- 7. Check the box to SHRINK DOCUMENT TO AVOID OVERWRITING THE DOCUMENT’S TEXT AND GRAPHICS.
- 8. Click OK.
- 9. Insert cursor inside header/footer field representing where Bates numbers should display in the PDFs. The cursor blinks.
- 10. Select the INSERT BATES NUMBER… button to open the Bates Numbering dialogue box. Enter the number of digits and start number for Bates Stamping. Select OK. The preview window below displays how the Bates Stamps will appear on the PDFs.
- 11. Adjust appearance as needed. Hit OK. Adobe Acrobat Pro Bates stamps the files.
- 12. Be sure to check your files for the appropriate Bates numbering
Don’t worry about making a mistake. You can click on the down arrow to the right of Bates Numbering in the ribbon to select REMOVE. The re-do the steps listed above, adjusting the Bates stamp as needed.