How to Accommodate Paper Exhibits When Using E-Exhibits
Using e-exhibits for your depositions saves on the time and costs of printing, organizing, shipping and storing paper exhibits. But what happens when co-counsel or a third party shows up with a paper exhibit and you are introducing them electronically?
Both of Barkley’s e-exhibit platforms allow for adding exhibits while the deposition is taking place. All you need is Internet access and an image or PDF of the paper exhibit(s)—which is easy to get using the camera on your phone. But what if you need the image to be searchable or the paper exhibit has multiple pages? Brett Burney, who is presenting Barkley’s new eM/CLE Practicing on the Move, says Evernote’s Scannable app does the trick for attorneys who use an iPhone. (Note: Scannable is a separate app from Evernote’s built-in scanning feature.)
How To Use Scannable at the Deposition for e-Exhibits
- Download Evernote Scannable app from the App store—it’s free!
- Open Scannable on your iPhone.
- Hold your phone over the first page of the paper exhibit until it captures the image. Scannable saves the image as a searchable (OCR’d) PDF.
- Repeat Step #3 until all the paper exhibit pages are saved.
- Click on the blue check mark button in the lower-right corner. A “Scannable Document” is created with all the pages combined into a single PDF.
- Swipe thru the PDF pages to ensure all the paper exhibit pages are included.
- To delete, rotate, or crop a page, click the round button in lower-right corner of the PDF page.
- To re-order the PDF pages, select the “Reorder” link in upper right. Drag and drop the PDF pages into their proper order.
- Click “Done” in upper-right corner of the Scannable app.
- A blue bar appears at bottom of the app. Select “Send” or “Save” the PDF for online access.
Discard any previously scanned exhibit pages before scanning more paper exhibits or those PDF pages will be included in your new exhibit.
We’ve got a new lineup of eM/CLEs for 2019! Check out our new eM/CLEs at: Barkley.com/webinar
Want to see how to introduce your exhibits electronically? Request an e-Exhibits online Demo