Mark It Confidential: Add a Watermark to Your PDF
Need to mark a PDF as confidential? Adobe Acrobat’s WATERMARK tool enables you to designate PDFs as being confidential using watermark stamps that display anytime the file is viewed or only when it is printed. Here’s how to add a watermark to your PDF:
1. Open PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
2. Select TOOLS in upper-left corner to choose to EDIT PDF.
3. Click down arrow next to WATERMARK to select ADD. The Add Watermark dialogue box displays.
4. In Source box at top of the dialogue box, select TEXT, then click inside the text field on the right to type CONFIDENTIAL.
5. Use FONT and SIZE fields as well as the style, color and alignment buttons beneath the text box to adjust the format of the lettering.
6. In the Appearance section, use the radio buttons to set how the text lettering will display on the pages. Adjust the OPACITY to allow for reading the contents of the PDF.
7. Click on APPEARANCE OPTIONS to set when the CONFIDENTIAL stamp is to be made visible as well as to retain consistency in how the CONFIDENTIAL text stamp displays across the pages in the PDF.
8. Click PAGE RANGE link in the upper-right corner to designate the pages that should contain the CONFIDENTIAL mark.
9. Click SAVE SETTINGS button on the very top left to name and save the watermark for future use.
10. Use Preview screen on the right to ensure the text stamp will display as needed.
11. Click on OK. A CONFIDENTIAL watermark stamp appears on the pages as directed.
12. Made a mistake? Click on the WATERMARK option in tool bar again to REMOVE the mark.
Voila! No more need to print, stamp, and scan the document before sending it on. This works for designating PDFs as confidential, as a draft, as a specific version, or just about any other designation you may need to make.