Setting the Word Range for Proximity Searches
Many legal professionals use the proximity search tool in Adobe Acrobat Pro to help with establishing plausible relationships between events, persons, or items of interest across deponent testimony. Proximity searches look for instances where two or more separately matching terms occur within a range of words. Most PDF programs have a default proximity range of 50 words. But what if you need to adjust this range to be more inclusive or selective?
1. Click EDIT in upper-left corner of the Adobe Acrobat Pro Program.
2. Select PREFERENCES from the drop-down menu. The Preferences dialogue box displays.
3. Under CATEGORIES in the left-hand column, select SEARCH. The default Search options appear on the right.
4. In the RANGE OF WORDS FOR PROXIMITY SEARCHES field, change the default range of 50 words to your preference.
5. Click OK at bottom of the Preferences dialogue box to set your preference.
Generally speaking, increasing the word range makes your search more inclusive, whereas decreasing the word range should make it more selective. For maximum results, be sure to check the box to include “Stemming” so variations of the root term(s) also appear in your search results.
Interested in learning how to conduct proximity searches? Register to join Barkley for our Adobe Acrobat for the Legal Profession: Part One eMCLE.